Review - Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Connect: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Find: Goodreads | Barnes&Noble
Release: September 5th 2014
Genre: New Adult/Contemporary
Publisher: Atria Books

Back of the Book: When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn't think it's love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up.

He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her:

Never ask about the past. Don’t expect a future. They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

- - - - -

UGLY LOVE has been on my TBR list for a while but when I heard they were making it into a movie; I kind of pushed myself into reading it faster. I personally would love to see Victoria Justice portray Tate Collins for my own selfish fan reasons. I know they’ve already casted the male lead, and although he’s attractive I hope he can act because portraying a character like Miles is going to require talent. But enough about the movie, let’s talk about the book:

The thing I loved most about Ugly Love is—this about to get a bit spoilery so if you’re not into reading spoilers then I suggest you stop reading now—that Miles’ lack of wanting to love didn’t solely have to do with being in a bad relationship but more so because of the genuine loss he suffered by losing Clayton. And the damaged it caused to his and Rachel’s relationship. Losing a child, I’d imagine, is hard to come back from especially if you blame yourself.

Although I love both Miles and Tate will all of the love my heart can give, Cap stole the show for me and quickly became my favorite character. His friendship with Tate is so adorable and he’s adorable. I was, however, disappointed with the lack of friendships/relationships Tate had outside of Corbin and Miles which is probably why her and Cap’s friendship was so important to me.

Which brings me to my biggest Ugly Love pet peeve—Tate’s lack of growth. I had very high hopes for Tate after reading the first couple of chapters. She seemed like such a strong and independent person. However, the moment Miles gave her the smolder, it’s like everything I thought she would be turned out to be a mirage. She became so…weak. She allowed Miles to treat her like crap and while I completely understood her reasons, it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. I think I would have just liked to see her stand up for herself more. Although Miles’ character development and growth was gradual and realistic, I feel like Tate wasn’t given the same courtesy.

Overall, I simply adored Ugly Love. Despite my feeling towards Tate, her and Miles’ growth as a couple is realistic, honest, beautiful, and raw. That’s something that I can appreciate and admire. It’s a great story about loss and how the pain of said defeat can affect someone’s life for as long as they’d let it. Which brings me to the best quote in the book, “It’s the beautiful moments like these that make up for the ugly love.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment